Interviewing for a nanny position can be a daunting prospect. However, if you are well-prepared, the meeting should generally run smoothly. The following advice should help you in feeling more comfortable with the interview process and increase your chances of being successful.
- Can you tell me about yourself?
- Can you tell me about your family background and childhood?
- How would your friends describe you?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- How would you describe your lifestyle?
- What do you enjoy during your free time?
Being a nanny
- Why did you choose to work as nanny?
- How long have you been a nanny?
- Why do you enjoy working with children?
- What do you like/dislike most about being a nanny?
- What qualities make you unique compared to other nannies?
- What is your ideal family/employer?
- Do you have any formal early childhood development or childcare training? Tell me what you liked about it.
- Do you have a First-Aid Certificate?
- What ages of children have you worked with?
- Would you mind if I checked your references?
- What was your last childcare experience?
- Was your previous position a sole charge position?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What did you like/dislike most about the job?
- What difficulties have you experienced as a nanny with parents or children and how were they resolved?
- Why do you have a gap between x and y date? (to check unexplained gaps)
Dealing with children
- What are your childcare philosophies?
- What do children like best about you?
- How do you comfort children? (e.g. separation anxiety or a crying baby)
- What are your views about discipline and how do you exercise it? Please give some examples.
- Would you be willing to follow my rules on comforting/disciplining children even if they are different from yours?
- How do you teach good manners to children?
Routines and child development
- How do you feel about routine?
- Have you cared for a baby before? What do you think routines should be for my baby at his/her age?
- Have you got experience of potty training and how do you handle that?
- What are your views on nutrition?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
- What would you cook for my child?
- What type of activities do you organise with children in your care?
- What would a typical day be like?
- What type of activities would you organise with a child the age of mine?
- How much time a day do you think it is appropriate for a child to watch television?
- What types of books do you like to read to children?
- How do you feel about education?
- How do feel about supervising my child’s homework?
Coping with emergencies and stress
- Have you ever been confronted with an emergency situation in your previous job? If so, how did you respond?
- What would you do if my child had an accident?
- What would you do if my baby choked on his/her food?
- How would you cope with a child crying all day because he/she is sick?
- How long can you commit to stay in the position?
- What are your future plans and goals?
- What are your GROSS salary expectations?
- Do you have a car in good functioning order and is it safe?
- Where do you live and how would you get to work? (if the candidate seeks a live-out position)
- What is your time keeping like?
- How many sick days have you had in the last year?
- Would you expect meals to be provided or would you bring your own food?
- Are you a non-smoker?
- Would you be happy to do light household tasks whilst the baby is sleeping?
- Do you have any personal matters or health issues which could prevent you from carrying out duties?
- Do you have a partner or friends that would possibly visit?
- When would you be available?
- Are you willing to work additional hours, baby-sitting, evenings and weekends?
- Would you be happy to come on holiday with us?
- When would like to go on holiday?