OCN Sleep Training
This OCN Level 3 & 4 Sleep Training course is suitable for maternity nurses, nannies and health professionals looking to gain additional knowledge in sleep training.
Led by an experienced Paediatric Nurse, Sleep Consultant and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, this practical sleep course supports candidates to understand the different approaches to sleep training, how to create the right sleep environment and how to effectively complete sleep consultations with parents, exploring real life case studies.
The advanced level sleep course explores key factors that contribute to babies and children waking in the night including sleep regression, developmental mile stones, cognitive changes, nutritional factors and environmental factors. The course also addresses sleeping behaviours in older children including child psychology and how different types of attachment can manifest into sleep problems.
The post course assessment can be completed at level 3 and level 4, and is accredited through Open College Network London.
“This course was full of excellent methods for gentle sleep training and the teacher was friendly and informative. This course is perfect for anyone working with babies and young children who are seeking nurturing alternatives to cry-it-out sleep training methods.
Thank You Babyem, it was amazing!”
Kirsty Bennett, August 2015
Sleep Training Course Details
Course Dates & Details
Cost: £175pp incl VAT for Level 3, £295pp incl VAT for Level 4 (Instalment plans are available, please contact us directly for more information)
Time: 10am – 5pm
2015 Date: 7th Nov (FULLY BOOKED)
2016 Dates: 20th Feb / 9th Apr / 11th June / 10th Sept / 12th Nov
View course dates and book online below:
Sleep Training for Professionals Course Content
Module 1 – Reasons why babies and children wake in the night
- Exploration of key factors that contribute to babies and children waking in the night including sleep regression, developmental mile stones, cognitive changes and nutritional factors, anxieties, bed wetting, nightmares and unmet needs in the day.
- Sleep problems including: night terrors, sleep apnoea, circadian rhythm disorders, head banging
Module 2 – Sleeping behaviours in older children (including child psychology)
- Understanding of cognitive and developmental milestones that may affect sleep in older children.
Module 3 – Understand how different types of attachment can manifest into sleep problems
- Understanding attachment focused strategies for dealing with older children’s sleep problems
Module 4 – Different influencing approaches to sleep training
- Understanding of the developmental, biological and nutritional influencing approaches to sleep coaching at different ages and stages i.e. babies, toddlers and young children.
Module 5 – Creating the right sleep environment
- Creating the ideal sleep environment, including: moving a child from a cot to a bed, changing rooms and supporting babies and children when travelling and / or with jet lag.
- Creating a safe sleep environment
Module 6 – Working as a Sleep Trainer with families
- How to implement of a programme to effectively support sleeping habits in babies
- How to implement gentle and sustainable sleep routines – including the use of sleep training tools and techniques
- Knowing how and when to involve a child and how to do this
Sleep Training Assessment
The one day advanced level Sleep Training course is delivered at level 4 standard (degree standard), and candidates can choose which post course assessment they would like to complete after the course. As an advanced level course we recommend that candidates already have baby experience and have a basic knowledge of promoting good sleep habits in babies and children. Candidates are required to reflect on their current practice and critically analyse theory and practice.
Post course assessment options:
Option 1: Level 3 OCN London Sleep Training Course (A-Level standard)
Option 2: Level 4 OCN London Sleep Training Course (Foundation degree standard).
We recommend that candidates completing the level 4 assessment have already completed a course to at least a level 3 standard. If you have any queries, please feel free to contact us on: 0208 986 9008 or email: [email protected] and we are happy to discuss the assessment in more detail. Learners are emailed a study pack along with assessments.
Learners are given 5 weeks to complete the course from the start of the course and learners are expected to send the completed assessments back to us by email. Candidates require internet access to download resources and view video clips. Candidates also require the use of a computer to study the course – tablets and smartphones are not advisable for studying as the display and functionality can be affected.
To complete the assessment candidates must ensure their computer meets the minimum requirements as refunds cannot be given once enrolled. These requirements include:
- Internet access and a working email address that we can contact you on Word Processing package such as Microsoft Word in order to complete the assessment
- Up-to-date internet browser such as: internet google/safari/ chrome/firefox etc…
- Ability to hear audio/video via your computer as our resource files include video clips
- Use of a computer to complete the course work. Smart phones and tablets are not suitable for completing the assessment as the display and functionality can be affected.
Working as a Sleep Consultant
Sleep Consultants work with parents who require advice and support in order to gain a good night’s sleep. When working as a Sleep Consultant you will be required to effectively assess the baby, environment and put together a plan in partnership with the parents in order to help their baby sleep. Sleep Consultants require an excellent understanding of sleep theory, factors that affect sleep and effective tools and strategies that can be adapted based on individual cases. Fees vary widely, depending on your experience, level of service offered and if you are staying overnight with the family.
Consultations range from £120 -£250 and £200-£300 when overnight.
Directions to Venue
Tel: +44(0) 20 7373 7878
Driving: Queens Gate is off the A4 (Cromwell Road) linking to the M4 and M3 joining the M25. You can find out where to park in the area and charges by click HERE.
Car Parking: Parking is free in the area on Saturdays after 1pm and there is free parking in the area on Sundays.
Traveling by tube: The Regency Hotel is a 5 minute walk from both Gloucester Road tube station and South Kensington tube station. South Kensington tube station (Piccadilly, District and Circle lines.)
Direction from South Kensington Station:
- Head southwest on Pelham St toward B304. Turn right onto Pelham St/B304
- Continue straight onto Old Brompton Rd/A3218. Turn right onto Queen’s Gate
- Slight left to stay on Queen’s Gate until you reach the Regency Hotel.
- Directions from Gloucester Road tube station Lines: Piccadilly, District and Circle lines.
- Direction from Gloucester Road tube station
- Turn left out of tube station onto Clareville St Sharp left onto Manson Mews
- Regency Hotel will be on the right
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know whether to choose the level 3 or the level 4?
We recommend that candidates completing the level 4 Sleep Training assessment have already completed a course to at least a level 3 standard. If you have any queries, please feel free to contact us on: 0208 986 9008 or email: [email protected] and we are happy to discuss the assessment in more detail.
Can I change from a level 3 to level 4?
During the course we spend time discussing the assessment, and you are welcome to change the level you would like to complete up to 24 hours after the course and only pay the difference.
If I choose to complete the level 3 now, can I update to level 4 at a later date?
You are welcome to pay an additional fee of £120 to top up from a level 3 to level 4 at any time.
Our Sleep Training Course Tutor
Lyndsey Hookway BSc;RNC;HV;IBCLC
Lactation Consultant & Sleep Specialist
Lyndsey is an experienced Paediatric Nurse, Health Visitor and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Having trained under Chireal Shallow of the Naturally Nurturing Sleep Clinic, Lyndsey now runs a successful sleep consultancy service ‘Little Sleepers’. Lyndsey has spoken at several national conferences on sleep, breastfeeding and supporting families and has written a number of published articles for medical journals and parent magazines.
CACHE Level 3 Diploma for Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator)
CACHE Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce
CACHE Understand How to Set Up a Home Based Childcare Service (CYPOP5)
CACHE Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for the Children and Young People’s Workforce
CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Playwork