OCN Level 3 or Level 4 Maternity Nurse Training ONLINE
At Babyem holistic and evidence based practice is at the heart of everything we teach. We achieve this through our Maternity Nurse Training by:
What you receive when you sign up to the Babyem online Maternity Nurse Training:
With our online maternity course, you have the benefit of completing the training in your own time, at home, on the go, day or night. Course highlights include:
Free support for 12 months through our private Facebook group. Being part of our active community you will receive monthly Q& A seminars and have your questions answered by industry specialists and experienced Maternity Nurses.
Practical how-to documents and cheat sheets that you can use with your clients.
Newborn placement scheme! Gain practical experience, and develop your confidence through our newborn placement scheme, which is available for all UK students!
Who is this maternity nurse training for?
TAKE A LOOK INSIDE THE COURSE:
What’s included in our Level 3 & 4 OCN Maternity Nurse Training?
- Sleep requirements for babies and sleep cycles.
- Comfort measures to soothe a cranky/tired baby.
- Common mistakes people make when supporting babies to sleep.
- Infant brain development.
- Different philosophies and approaches regarding sleep.
- Gentle (evidence-based) sleep techniques to encourage babies to self-settle/sleep through the night.
- Safe sleep for babies.
COLIC, REFLUX, AND ALLERGIES
- Symptoms of colic, non-pharmacological and pharmacological treatment for colic.
- Symptoms of reflux (including physiological reflux and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease).
- Treatment for reflux and knowing when to see a specialist.
- The role of genes, bacteria, stress, nutrition and environmental toxins in the development of allergies.
- Exploration of the different types of allergy, including lactose intolerance and cow’s milk allergy.
- Understand how to help a baby with allergies.
CARING FOR BABIES
- Caring for babies – from head to toe.
- Signs and symptoms of common and serious illness in babies, and when to seek help.
- Supporting the development of babies through play.
PREMATURE BABIES, LOW WEIGHT, AND SICK BABIES
- Caring for premature babies and the effects on parents.
- The possible short and long-term effects of premature birth.
- Particular areas of concern post-discharge.
- How maternity nurses can help to care for premature babies and provide support to parents.
BREASTFEEDING AND OTHER FEEDING METHODS
- How babies feed, including infant suckling/sucking.
- Ensuring the correct positioning and attachment of baby onto the breast.
- Getting milk supply correctly established and building up the supply.
- Expressing milk, including methods and when to do this.
- Supplementing feeds, including reasons to supplement and how to effectively do this.
- Bottle feeding, including pace feeding and how to prepare and store bottles.
- Breastfeeding problems and strategies to support parents.
MATERNAL MENTAL HEALTH
- Postnatal depression, including prevalence and what support can be provided.
- Birth Trauma and wider mental health issues relating to birth.
CARE OF POSTNATAL MOTHERS
- The importance of protecting the pelvic floor and practical guidance on how to do it.
- Essential nutrition.
- What practical support can be provided to support new mothers.
WORKING AS A MATERNITY NURSE
- Different types of maternity roles.
- Travelling with families.
- Business basics – pay, insurance, contracts, setting up as self-employed.
- Gaining experience and attracting the right clients for you.
Training Included with Level 4 Course Only
CULTURE & DIVERSITY
- How families are changing
- Different cultural groups that have distinct and specific needs
- How to support the LGBT community
- Developmental milestones
- Leaps and phases
FLAT HEAD SYNDROME
- Flat head syndrome – is it all the same?
- Synostotic v Non Synostotic flat head syndrome
- Treatment plans available
payment options below!
- modules and weekly recorded webinars
- Talks facilitated by industry experts
- Downloads and practical guides
- Slide deck available for each webinar
Flexible Payment Plans
Level 3 Postnatal Maternity Nurse Course:
Level 4 Postnatal Maternity Nurse Course:
In addition to running Babyem, Emma works with organisations internationally as far afield as Nigeria and China to support them to develop their training, policies and procedures.
With a background in Children Services, Emma has speaks frequently at conferences and has written a number of best practice guidance documents for Local Authorities and Associations, including creating the British Association of Au Pair Agencies (BAPAA) childcare handbook.
SHEL BANKS BSC HON, IBCLC
CHAIR OF LIFIB, INFANT FEEDING INFORMATION SPECIALIST AND IBCLC
She is the author of “Why Formula Feeding Matters”, and is currently working on the Cochrane systematic reviews on Infantile Colic. Shel is heavily involved in the voluntary sector being the Vice-Chair for the UK Association of Milk Banking, and Chair of Communications Team for the Lactation Consultants of Great Britain.
LYNDSEY HOOKWAY BSC; RNC; HV; IBCLC
INTERNATIONAL BOARD CERTIFIED LACTATION CONSULTANT AND HOLISTIC SLEEP COACH
JULIANNE BOUTALEB BSC, MSC, CPSYCHOL, AFBPSS
CONSULTANT PERINATAL PSYCHOLOGIST
Julianne is a member of the Birth Trauma Association and Association for Infant Mental Health, and she specialises in working therapeutically with birth trauma, PTSD and tokophobia (fear of giving birth).
HANNAH ROSE THOMSON
HEAD OF HEALTH – ELVIE
SUPPORT SERVICES MANAGER – TAMBA
KAY CROTTY PHD MCSP
CONSULTANT PELVIC FLOOR PHYSIOTHERAPIST
What people are saying about the Online Maternity Nurse Training.
For all of those considering the course, I really couldn’t recommend it enough.”
Amy Fairweather – Nanny 2018
I would definitely recommend it to anyone was thinking about entering the field. I also believe it would be an ideal option for current maternity nurses who could benefit from a refresher course.”
Tamazine Rosa, Nanny 2018
The training and the pre-recorded webinars and support through social media groups is fantastic, as it ensures you don’t miss anything, and it’s there for you when you need it! Having recently passed the course, I’m now really looking forward to my first placement starting next week!”
Belinda Bell – Nanny 2018
The course exceeded my expectations and explored all possible topics that I could imagine, all of which was based on scientific research.
If you are looking for something that can actually teach you about how to be a Maternity Nurse in depth you will not be disappointed. Thank you Babyem!”
Anna-Chrysa Rutter – Nanny & Montessori Teacher, 2018
Babyem newborn placement scheme
Babyem supports candidates who have attended the Maternity Nurse Training course to gain practical experience supporting parents with newborns 0-3 months. We work closely with a range of organisations including NCT groups, Great Ormond Street Hospital and the national multiples groups TAMBA and Twins UK as well as receiving many self -referrals from parents.
All of our learners in the UK have access to our work placement opportunities with 85% of candidates reporting that this experience has helped them gain employment within the first 6 months of completing the course.
Working in partnership with:
Be part of a supportive, informative community
Join our private facebook group and receive the following support:
Monthly live Q & A sessions, which include talks by industry specialists, who are able to share their expertise with you.
Will I be guaranteed a job after attending?
How can I gain experience?
Is this applicable to anyone working with babies?
How much time does it take each week?
We estimate that it takes 2 hours a week (over 8 weeks) to go through the course content.
How is this different from other online Maternity Nurse Training courses?
- In depth online content, which include videos, text and quizzes.
- Each lesson consists of a recorded (60 – 90 minute) webinar led by an industry specialist that builds on the module content.
We provide on-going support: Our coaching, monthly live (online) seminars, live Q&A’s and ability to ask any questions in real time, means that you are supported every step of the way over a 12 month period. You also have a 7-day money back guarantee if you do not feel the course is right for you. Which means there is no risk on your part!
What happens when I sign up?
What if I don't have much money right now?
Will I be assessed during the course?
How do I achieve the qualification in Postnatal Maternity Nurse Training?
In order to receive the OCN qualification in Postnatal Maternity Nurse Training, you will need to complete the essay-based assignment. The assessment is emailed to you at the beginning of the course, and you are then given 7 weeks to complete the assessment. Each question is approximately 250- 300 words each and relates to the topics covered during the course. Once completed you will need to send the assessment back to us, and your work will be marked and then assessed by Open College Network. If there are any amends to be made, we let you know by emailing you (or scheduling a call if required) and you are given extra time to make those amends. Once your work has been successfully verified, you will receive your qualification through Open College Network.
Can I complete the course and choose not to complete the assessment to achieve the qualification?
Can I talk to you throughout the program?
Online Maternity Nurse Training course prerequisite
- Must have a good level of conversational English. The course is taught in English and assignments must be completed in English.
- Candidates are required to have at least 1-year baby experience (including newborn experience) before attending this course.
In order to complete the online element of the Maternity Nurse Training course, candidates are required to have the following in place:
- Internet access and a working email address
- Up to date internet browser such as: Google Chrome/ Internet Explorer/Safari/FireFox.
- Ability to hear audio/video via your computer
- Use of a computer to study the course – tablets and smartphones are not advisable for studying.
Our 7-day money back guarantee
As a training team, we have supported thousands of childcare professionals in the UK and internationally. Through our consultancy service, we have supported agencies internationally, to develop their training, developing policies and procedures and coaching them to success.
However, we also want you to feel comfortable with your investment – so we offer a 7-day money back guarantee. If you join and within 7 days and decide the program isn’t right for you, then you can request a full refund and we wish you well for the future.
We are confident that you will love the course and we are very excited at the opportunity to support you and be part of your journey!